The leaders came together to consider their role as leaders and highlight how leadership on and off the field can be a factor in making sport inclusive for all Australians, in particular Indigenous Australians. The event included a dinner at Darling Harbour on Wednesday night, before the forum was conducted last Thursday. Stowe says that it was a great opportunity to be involved in the Forum and found it very beneficial.“It was great to experience sharing thoughts on leadership and diversity in sporting groups with other people at the elite level,” Stowe said. “The Australian Sports Commission grabbed 35 of their elite sportspeople and leaders to get together and discuss basically ways that captains and leaders influence their sport and to determine what sort of aspects we can have and influences we have on our sport. It was also used to see which ways we are best off in bridging the gap in getting indigenous kids into our sport and ways to get them in and keep them in.”“The Australian Sports Commission is trying to obviously find the ways we can influence as role models and as leaders to keep these kids in the sport, which they seem to be striving to do through different pathways. It was also an opportunity to get together with all of the leaders to be able to share ideas on leadership qualities and to bounce ideas off each other as to how to improve our skills and attributes.”A long list of sports and their leaders took part in the event, including Swimmer Brenton Rickard, Surfer Sally Fitzgibbons, Rugby Union player Dean Mumm and the Kookaburra’s leadership group. “It was great to have the input of so many different sports, from Snowboarding to Surfing, Tennis, Shooting, there were so many different sports that you could get ideas from and a lot of leadership qualities, from motivation right through to preparation and into handling your teams whilst competing through to training and all of the aspects of their sports. It was very beneficial.”Stowe says that is was ‘exciting’ to see Touch Football represented at the Captains’ Forum, and that it was great to see that many of the people involved at the event had some form of connection to the sport. “We had the chance to interact with some of the indigenous kids there and they were quite excited to see that the sport that they played was there. Out of the 20 kids there, there was probably 10 or a dozen that actually played Touch, it was good to see someone there from Touch, so it was quite amazing.”“Just talking to the other captains, a lot of them do a lot of cross training and it was amazing to see that if they hadn’t played Touch growing up they were playing it at the moment, they all facilitated in Touch which was great to see. It was really important I think that we represented the sport there and continue in doing so.”
Australia’s Men’s, Women’s and Mixed Open squads will travel to Sydney this weekend for a training camp in preparation for the 2013 Super Trans Tasman Series to be held in Auckland next February. The Australians are hopeful of continuing their strong form against New Zealand on the Touch Football field after their impressive 3-0 whitewash of their Trans Tasman counterparts in Mudgee earlier this year. This will be the final selection medium for athletes to impress their respective coaches before teams are decided on and final preparation for the Open’s division title defence begins. The Super Trans Tasman will be the biggest Trans Tasman held yet, with 12 divisions – four Youth, three Open and five Masters – travelling to Auckland to compete. Stay tuned to the TFA website for all of the latest news in the lead up to the 2013 Super Trans Tasman Series – www.austouch.com.au.Related LinksAussie Squads In Camp
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea boss Lampard bemoans VAR impactby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea manager Frank Lampard says VAR changes the atmosphere at football matches.The Blues had a goal disallowed in Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.”We have to get on with it. It is a sad thing for the celebration and the moment but if we are looking for correct decisions that is where we are at,” Lampard said after the match. “It changes the atmosphere in the crowd, on the pitch. We are slightly deflated and they get a boost. We deserved to be level at that point.”
PHILADELPHIA – Rashon Nelson initially brushed it off when the Starbucks manager told him he couldn’t use the restroom because he wasn’t a paying customer.He thought nothing of it when he and his childhood friend and business partner, Donte Robinson, were approached at their table and were asked if they needed help. The 23-year-old entrepreneurs declined, explaining they were just waiting for a business meeting.A few minutes later, they hardly noticed when the police came into the coffee shop — until officers started walking in their direction.“That’s when we knew she called the police on us,” Nelson told The Associated Press in the first interview by the two black men since video of their April 12 trespassing arrests touched off a furor around the U.S. over racial profiling or what has been dubbed “retail racism” or “shopping while black.”Nelson and Robinson were led away in handcuffs from the shop in the city’s well-to-do Rittenhouse Square neighbourhood in an incident recorded on a white customer’s cellphone.In the week since, the men have met with Starbucks’ apologetic CEO and have started pushing for lasting change at the coffee shop chain, including new policies on discrimination and ejecting customers.“We do want to make sure it doesn’t happen to anybody again,” Robinson said. “What if it wasn’t us sitting there? What if it was the kid that didn’t know somebody that knew somebody? Do they make it to jail? Do they die? What happens?”On Thursday, they also got an apology from Philadelphia police Commissioner Richard Ross, a black man who at first staunchly defended his officers’ handling of the encounter.“I should have said the officers acted within the scope of the law, and not that they didn’t do anything wrong,” Ross said. “Words are very important.”At a news conference, a sombre Ross said he “failed miserably” in addressing the arrests. He said that the issue of race is not lost on him and that he shouldn’t be the person making things worse.“Shame on me if, in any way, I’ve done that,” he said.He also said the police department did not have a policy for dealing for such situations but does now and it will be released soon.Nelson and Robinson said they went to the Starbucks to meet Andrew Yaffe, a white local businessman, over a potential real estate opportunity. Three officers showed up not long after. Nelson said they weren’t questioned but were told to leave immediately.Yaffe showed up as the men were being handcuffed and could be seen in the video demanding an explanation for the officers’ actions. Nelson and Robinson did not resist arrest.“When you know that you did nothing wrong, how do you really react to it?” Nelson said. “You can either be ignorant or you can show some type of sophistication and act like you have class. That was the choice we had.”It was not their first encounter with police. But neither had been arrested before, setting them apart from many of those they grew up with in their gritty southwest Philadelphia neighbourhood.Nelson and Robinson spent hours in a jail cell and were released after midnight, when the district attorney declined to prosecute them.Nelson said he wondered if he’d make it home alive.“Any time I’m encountered by cops, I can honestly say it’s a thought that runs through my mind,” Nelson said. “You never know what’s going to happen.”Starbucks has said the coffee shop where the arrests occurred has a policy that restrooms are for paying customers only, but the company has no overall policy. The men’s attorney, Stewart Cohen, said they were illegally profiled.The arrests prompted protests at the Starbucks and a national boycott. Kevin Johnson, CEO of the Seattle-based company, came to Philadelphia to meet with the men, called the arrests “reprehensible” and ordered more than 8,000 Starbucks stores closed on the afternoon of May 29 so that nearly 175,000 employees can receive training on unconscious bias. Starbucks has not identified the employee who called police.Robinson said that he appreciates the public support but that anger and boycotting Starbucks are not the solution.The men said they are looking for more lasting results and are in mediation with Starbucks to make changes, including the posting in stores of a customer bill of rights; the adoption of new policies on customer ejections and racial discrimination; and independent investigations of complaints.“You go from being someone who’s just trying to be an entrepreneur, having your own dreams and aspirations, and then this happens,” Nelson said. “How do you handle it? Do you stand up? Do you fight? Do you sit down and just watch everyone else fight for you? Do you let it slide, like we let everything else slide with injustice?”___Whack is The Associated Press’ national writer for race and ethnicity. Follow her work on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/emarvelous
OTTAWA – Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is hosting a pair of Mexican dignitaries who will hold key cabinet portfolios once their country’s incoming government take power.Freeland and International Trade Minister Jim Carr will sit down for bilateral meetings in Ottawa today with Mexico’s future foreign affairs minister Marcelo Ebrard and economy minister Graciela Marquez. The meetings come just a few weeks after Canada, Mexico and the United States agreed to an updated North American free trade pact.The agreement narrowly beat a deadline imposed by the U.S. Congress to get the deal fast-tracked and voted on by Dec. 1, ahead of Mexican president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s incoming government.The visiting Mexican officials, Ebrard and Marquez, will take on their ministerial roles once Lopez Obrador’s government takes office.Canada and Mexico are still dealing with stinging steel and aluminum tariffs imposed by the Trump administration _ and both countries have responded by slapping the U.S. with retaliatory duties of their own.
OTTAWA — EBay is calling on the federal government to legislate an end to the Canada Post contract dispute, warning that quick action is needed to ensure retailers don’t lose out on Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.The manager of the online sales giant’s Canadian and Latin American divisions says continued rotating strikes at Canada Post will result in significant losses for small and medium-sized businesses across the country.While those businesses have adapted as best they can to the strikes that began Oct. 22, Andrea Stairs says in a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the adjustments retailers have made so far to avoid delivery disruptions are unsustainable.Meanwhile, Canada Post says it is now facing an unprecedented backlog of shipments, largely as a result of strikes at its major sorting plants in Vancouver and particularly Toronto.A spokesman for the Crown corporation says that, as of this morning, there were more than 260 trailers filled with parcels waiting to be unloaded at its Gateway processing plant in Toronto — and that number is expected to rise quickly.The prime minister warned last week that his government would look at all options to end the labour dispute if there is no significant progress in Canada Post’s contract talks with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.The Canadian Press
TOKYO — Mitsubishi Motors CEO Osamu Masuko says the Japanese automaker’s board has met and discussed new allegations of wrongdoing by its former chairman, Carlos Ghosn.The allegations Friday regard a 7 million euro ($8 million) payment made to Ghosn last year by a 50-50 venture between Nissan Motor Co. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp., established in 2017 in Amsterdam.Masuko said only Ghosn, who headed Nissan for nearly 20 years, and some aides knew about the transaction, which was discovered during an investigation by Nissan and Mitsubishi.There have been no formal charges for the new allegations. Ghosn has been charged with breach of trust and falsifying financial reports in underreporting his income from Nissan.Masuko and Nissan Chief Hiroto Saikawa were directors at the joint venture called NMBV, along with Ghosn.The Associated Press
Kolkata: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address two rallies – one at north Bengal’s Siliguri and other at Kolkata’s Brigade Parade Ground — on April 3 ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, a party leader said on Sunday. “His first public meeting will be in Siliguri at 1 p.m. and then he will attend a rally at Brigade Parade Ground at 3 p.m.,” BJP leader Mukul Roy told reporters. He said no political party had earlier shown the courage to organise a Brigade rally as well as a rally in North Bengal in one day. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “We will successfully organise both the rallies in the time frame of just 10 days. People of north Bengal will come to Siliguri while supporters and activists will join the Brigade rally,” he said. Modi held three rallies in Bengal’s Thakurnagar, Durgapur and Jalpaiguri in February where he launched a scathing attack on the Mamata Banerjee government, blaming it for violence, corruption and extortion. Permission for party’s “Save Democracy” programme was denied by West Bengal’s ruling Trinamool Congress and a planned rally at the iconic Brigade could not be organised earlier because it was initially part of the Save democracy programme, Roy said. The Bharatiya Janata Party holds two Lok Sabha seats in the state and hopes to win at least 22 of the 42 Lok Sabha seats. West Bengal will see seven-phased polling from April 11 to May 19.
Kolkata: A Trinamool Congress activist was injured after being beaten up by some miscreants in Murshidabad. The district Trinamool Congress leaders have alleged that some Congress-backed goons were involved in the attack.The victim has been identified as Tuhin Sarkar. A resident of the Kalinagar area in Murshidabad, Sarkar was returning home on late Saturday evening when two motorcycle-borne miscreants stopped his way. They got down from the bike and started beating up the victim indiscriminately. The victim fell on the ground after receiving several blows. Hearing the screams of the victim, some local residents came to his rescue. The miscreants, however, had fled from the spot before the local people reached there. They rushed the victim to a nearby health centre. His condition is stated to be stable now. The incident has subsequently triggered a blame game between the local TMC and Congress leaders. TMC leaders alleged that Congress had engaged the miscreants to beat up Sarkar. However, Congress has refuted the allegation and termed the incident a result of infighting within TMC. Police have started a probe in this regard. They are conducting raids to nab the culprits.
Ahmedabad: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said the voter ID (identity card) is more powerful than the IED (improvised explosive device) of terrorists.He was speaking after casting his vote during the single-phase polling for Lok Sabha in his home state Gujarat. After casting his vote, Modi walked some distance from the polling booth and interacted briefly with mediapersons. “Indian democracy presents an example before the world. While on one hand, an IED (improvised explosive device) is the weapon of terrorists, on the other hand, the voter ID (identity) is the weapon and power of democracy,” he said. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM'”I am confident that the power of voter ID is much more than the IED and we should understand the importance of the voter ID card and come out to vote in large numbers,” he said. Modi said he feels fortunate to participate in “the great festival of democracy” in his home state Gujarat. “The third phase of polling is taking place today in the country. I am fortunate that I also got the proud moment to fulfil my duty by voting in my home state Gujarat and to have an active participation in this great festival of democracy,” he said. “By voting, I feel the same sense of purity that one gets after taking bath at the Kumbh mela,” he told reporters. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KUrging people to vote with full enthusiasm, he said, “The intelligence of Indian voters to understand whom to vote and whom not to vote is a matter of case study.” He also welcomed the active participation of young voters, born in the 21st century, who are exercising their franchise for the first time in the ongoing Lok Sabha polls, and conveyed his best wishes to them. “This entire century belongs to those who are voting for the first time. They have to vote for the bright future of this century. Therefore, I would especially urge the new voters to commit to hundred per cent voting,” he said. “I am grateful to all the lovers of democracy who voted in large numbers in the first and second phases of the Lok Sabha elections,” he said.