Pune: The kin of Rasila Raju O.P, the Infosys software engineer who was murdered last month, submitted a memorandum to Pune Commissioner of Police Rashmi Shukla on Thursday, urging a thorough probe in the murder.Ms. Raju (24) was found strangled to death inside the premises of the Infosys campus in the city’s Hinjewadi IT Park on January 29. A security guard of the campus, Bhaben Saikiya (26), has been arrested in connection with the case.Speaking to The Hindu, Rasila’s father Raju O.P. said the family has submitted a six-point memo to Ms. Shukla, in which they have urged the police to probe whether the murder was committed by more than one person.Evidence submitted Rajan Nair, of the Pune Malayalee Federation, said, “We have also submitted evidence that Rasila was under pressure three months before her death and have urged the police to probe accordingly. We have further requested that IT firms carry out thorough background checks of security personnel.”According to Mr. Nair, the Commissioner assured the kin that every evidence was being looked into and that ordinary ‘work pressure’ had to be distinguished from sinister circumstances, which may have contributed to the murder.Mr. Nair added, “We also seek the appointment of noted lawyer Ujjwal Nikam as Public Prosecutor in the case and demand capital punishment for the accused.” Earlier, the kin had submitted a Memorandum of Agreement to the human resource authorities at Infosys for seeking the dues and ex-gratia payment amounting to ₹1.25 crore. The kin said the authorities have responded positively.Ms. Raju, who hailed from Payimbra village in Kozhikode city, Kerala, had been working with Infosys since 2015.The prime suspect, Saikiya, a native of Assam, is in judicial custody till February 21. He purportedly used to stare at the victim in an improper manner, which caused her to warn him of a complaint. According to police, this is supposed to have triggered the crime.Saikiya, who fled after the murder, was nabbed from Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) by the Pune police in the wee hours of January 30. He was attempting to escape to his native village in Assam.Soon after the event, Ms. Shukla questioned the security measures at the Infosys campus.
In a small auditorium of Nandan, located in the Kolkata’s cultural complex, Presidency University held its convocation on Tuesday morning. The auditorium that can barely accommodate 100 people had veteran Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee and former scientific adviser to the Prime Minister C.N.R. Rao receiving honorary degrees D. Litt and D.Sc degree respectively. No student of the University was present. University Chancellor and State Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi also stayed away from the convocation which ended in 40 minutes. The 200-year-old institution was forced to hold the convocation at an auditorium mainly meant for screening of films as a section of the students had not allowed the authorities to enter the campus on college street. “Students should remember that they have not come to live in Hindu hostel. But to study in Presidency University. What is it that makes that particular location and that particular building so important,” Vice-Chancellor of Presidency University Anuradha Lohia, said during the convocation. Large placard Prof. Lohia explained to the gathering that it was the student’s protests that has forced the University to hold their convocation at Nandan and not at the University premises. On Monday morning, the Vice-Chancellor and other authorities found that the gate of the University was locked by students who put up large placard which stated, ‘Presidency University is closed …..Renovation of Hindu hostel is going on’.A section of students of the institution have been protesting for the past one month over demands that they be allowed to stay at the Hindu hostel, close to the University campus on college street, which is under renovation. The University has made alternative arrangements for boarding of the students at its New Town campus and made arrangements free travel. The Vice-Chancellor argued that as a custodian of the University, she cannot push beyond a certain level and jeopardise safety of the issue.“That they want to stay in the hostel right now, does not sound rationale. It does not sound like students of Presidency University,” she said. Prof. Lohia said she will not use force against the students and will not force herself inside the University campus. Meanwhile, a section of protesting students said that the University authorities cannot put the blame entirely on the students. “Over the past 40 days we tried to argue our case with the Vice-Chancellor but she did not listen. Now by passing the responsibility of what happened today on students, the Vice-Chancellor is passing the responsibility and trying to score points before the State government,” Shuvajit Sarkar, a second year postgraduate student of History said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Tuesday asked the opposition leaders to accept their defeat in Lok Sabha elections instead of blaming the EVMs.He was replying to the resolution raised by the opposition last week and a challenge thrown by the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) MLA Jayant Patil to pass a resolution to conduct Assembly polls through ballot papers instead of electronic voting machines (EVM).In a reply to opposition leaders’ claim during the proceedings, Mr Fadnavis also rejected all the allegations of irregularities and graft against his colleagues. On the last day of Assembly session of the present government, and in his last speech, Mr. Fadnavis expressed confidence that he would be back after the elections in the same position.Mr. Patil reminded him that it is the people of the State who hold ultimate power to elect the government and said that he hopes they will vote for a better Chief Minister next time. “The opposition leaders must accept that they are defeated in the Lok Sabha elections due to their own deeds. The people of this country have rejected them and it is a bitter but important truth,” said Mr. Fadnavis.Recalling how he and his party too had fallen for a similar trap, Mr. Fadnavis said, “Someone had told me some years back that ballot papers with yellow colours were used as a part of bogus voting. We had gone to Bombay High Court and Supreme Court as well and we failed, because we refused to accept that we have been defeated by the people.”Mr. Fadnavis also referred to a challenge thrown by the Election Commission of India (ECI), where representatives of NCP and CPI (M) had attended. “Representatives of both the parties then had claimed that they were there to understand the procedure and not to challenge the EVMs,” he said.
LeBron James #23 of the Cleveland Cavaliers drives to the basket against Shaun Livingston #34 and Matt Barnes #22 of the Golden State Warriors in the first quarter in Game 4 of the 2017 NBA Finals at Quicken Loans Arena on June 9, 2017, in Cleveland, Ohio. Barnes pleaded guilty Tuesday, June 27, 2017, to disorderly conduct but avoided jail time following a December incident at a New York nightclub. AFPNEW YORK, United States — Golden State Warriors forward Matt Barnes pleaded guilty Tuesday to disorderly conduct but avoided jail time following a December incident at a New York nightclub.Barnes was ordered to perform 10 days of community service and allowed to do the work in California. He was given until August 29, the next hearing date, to complete the work.ADVERTISEMENT During Golden State’s playoff run to the NBA title, Barnes came off the bench to appear in 12 games, totaling nine points, nine rebounds, seven assists and two steals.Charges came from an early morning incident involving Barnes when he was a member of the Sacramento Kings and former Kings star DeMarcus Cousins.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutVideo footage obtained by police appeared to show Barnes as the assailant of three people, with two women reported being choked by Barnes. Another man who ran to aid one of the women was sucker-punched.Cousins was accused of delivering the punch but was recently cleared of wrongdoing by police. View comments Fil-German Standhardinger named to Gilas team set for SEA Games What ‘missteps’? LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire A civil suit has been filed against Barnes and Cousins by plaintiffs Jasmine Besiso and Myrone Powell. CBBSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend MOST READ WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage