Mango Man murderAfter more than a week after a verdict was supposed to be handed down in the Kumar Singh “Mango Man” murder case, Mark Royden “Smallie” Williams and Sherwin Nero called “Catty” are set to know their fates later this week. During Monday’s proceedings, closing addresses by the prosecution and Defence Counsel Nigel Hughes were heard before a 12-member jury. However, presiding Judge, James Bovell-Drakes adjourned the matter to Thursday for summation of evidence. Thereafter, the jury will deliberate and determine whether or not the co-accused are innocent or guilty.Mark Royden “Smallie” Williams and Sherwin Nero called “Catty” will soon know their fatesThey were implicated in the murder of “Mango Man” whilst executing a robbery on August 30, 2007, at the man’s Cove and John, East Coast Demerara home. At the time, the man’s relatives were visiting from neighbouring Suriname. During the trial, the jury had been told that an ex-police rank transported the duo from Kumar Singh’s home via horse cart which the defence argued is implausible. Singh was killed after gunmen stormed his premises and allegedly made off with cash and jewellery.When “Smallie” had taken the stand, he implicated Inspector Suraj Singh and other ranks of torturing him. His account to the jury was that upon his 2008 arrest, he was handcuffed, beaten and shocked into signing the police caution statement which he claimed was not freely given. Prosecutors Tameika Clarke and Tiffini Lyken are leading the State’s case.
Tripura Assembly Speaker Ramendra Chandra Debnath, on Friday announced the disqualification of Ratan Lal Nath,MLA, under the anti-defection law. The former leader of opposition who won from Mohanpur assembly constituency five times in a row as a Congress nominee, had recently joined BJP. The state Congress President Birajit Sinha had lodged a complaint with the Speaker to disqualify Mr. Nath a day after the latter joined BJP on December 22 last. Hundreds of his supports also joined the party at a function attended by BJP General Secretary and party’s northeast in-charge Ram Madhav and Tripura poll in-charge as well as Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.Following the Congress complaint, the Speaker had called him for an explanation but Mr. Ratan Lal had skipped the hearing convened by the Speaker citing health reason.
Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting “OCR is really getting traction with the Philippines, especially with our partnership with Conquer Challenge which has made OCR accessible to Filipinos,” said Communications Director Rei Abrazaldo.“We are exploring discussions with the Conquer Challenge group on how again we can make a difference next year. This year we had three races, we had a night race as well.” Abrazaldo said. “We’re looking at other options to reach more Filipinos.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Team Lakay celebrates Christmas with four world titles, experiences to share Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 2013 PLAY LIST 01:19Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 201302:28Panelo on facing commute challenge: ‘It’s a silly acceptance’00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Jacob King tries to finish one of the obstacles during the Allianz Conquer Challenge. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOCLARK–In one of the hardest races of the Allianz Conquer Challenge, one of the premier obstacle course races in the Philippines, this year, selected Aetas showcased their skills and endurance last Sunday at Clark Global City.The Aetas from Porac, Pampanga–one of the communities that Allianz Philippines, the title sponsor of the Conquer Challenge Race, supports–were introduced to Obstacle Course Racing in an effort to promote social inclusion.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Twenty-one Aetas and partnered with Allianz employees for the 10-kilometer race lined with 25 physically-demanding obstacles that were sure to test one’s stamina.But the Aetas were undaunted by the obstacles that were meant for elite athletes, who also competed in the race which served as one of the qualifiers for the national team pool with OCR part of next year’s Southeast Asian Games.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefOne of the obstacles during the 10-km Conquer Challenge. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO“I had a lot of fun, I learned a lot too. The obstacles earlier were like a lesson in life. If you don’t work hard enough for something, you really won’t be able to achieve your goals,” Reina Baclay, 18, told INQUIRER.net after the race.On top of a long run under the heat of the sun, the participants had to overcome hurdles like balance beams, rope climbs, monkey bars, warped wall, slingshot, and dead ball carry among others. LATEST STORIES Lacson: 2019 budget delay due to P75-B House ‘insertion’ Duterte urged to order review of all power deals with generation firms 3 IS-linked gunmen slain in Maguindanao offensives The Aetas, though, seemed to like the toughest parts of the race like Jacob King, 21, who enjoyed the rope climb part–which a lot of participants were not able to finish.“I’m used to it (rope climb). In my area, there were a lot of big tree roots and we climb them so I know how to do it,” King, a student in Villa Maria Integrated School in Porac, told INQUIRER.net.The tandem of Jacob King and Allianz exec Alexander Grenz. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO“We believe Obstacle Racing fits very well (for Filipinos). In life, you have overcome a lot of obstacles and you need someone to help you. Like today in the race, with the Aetas together, you need a partner who can help you,” said Allianz chief operating officer Alexander Grenz, who was King’s partner for the race.Allianz vowed that its work with Aetas of Porac, Pampanga “is not a one-time affair,” like its support for Obstacle Course Racing in the Philippines.The insurance company started its partnership with Conquer Challenge PH, one of the local brands for OCR in the country, last year and with the boom of the sport, Allianz is expected to continue its help.ADVERTISEMENT Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue MOST READ Comelec disputes PCIJ report on voter turnout in Lanao del Sur town Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Fans are in a frenzy as Netflix reveals that Henry Cavill is coming to Manila View comments
Dimitar Berbatov has revealed he told his agent to “f**k off” when he was told of Manchester City’s interest in signing him in 2008.The Bulgarian moved from Tottenham to Manchester United on one of the most intense deadline days in recent memory, sealing a £30 million ($38m) move with minutes to spare.City, of course, were the subject of a takeover on the same day, and amazingly swooped to sign Robinho from under the noses of Chelsea. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! The Blues were not satisfied with stopping there, however, and launched a bid to steal Berbatov away too.Spurs reported United to the Football Association due to the nature of their pursuit of the striker, and reports at the time claimed that selling Berbatov to City would have been more palatable for the London club.The side made an offer in excess of United’s, reported to be £34m ($43m), but Berbatov was not interested, and told his agent as much!Speaking to FourFourTwo regarding City’s interest, he said: “I don’t think it was that close, to be honest. My agent told me about some interest but I said, ‘Don’t even bother mentioning anyone else, I’m going to Man United,’ because of the history, the players, the tradition, everything.“I think it was the night before City signed Robinho from Real Madrid and my agent said, ‘Berba, there’s another team in for you’. I said, ‘F*ck off, we’re going to Man United’. He said, ‘But they’ll give you more money!’“It’s not all about the money sometimes, though. I was like a horse with blinkers. For me it was the right decision because going to the top of the mountain was my dream, especially when you come from Eastern Europe, from a small town, and no one’s done it before you. It was a great feeling.”Berbatov left a Spurs side who had not won any of their opening three games, and was widely regarded as a pariah among the club’s fans.However, he maintains that he was merely “following his path”.“It’s difficult,” he added. “You see it all the time with players moving clubs. In my case it was me simply following my path, because ever since I was a small boy, I’d always imagined playing for the biggest club in the world.“When that moment arrived I know a lot of people were angry with my choice, but I needed to follow my path.”Berbatov won two Premier League titles during his time at United, as well as the League Cup and the Club World Cup.The Bulgarian scored 56 goals during his time at Old Trafford, leaving for Fulham in 2012. Since that move, he has played for Monaco, PAOK and Kerala Blasters. He won 78 caps for his country.