Retinablastoma diagnosisThe Linden Mayor and Town Council (LM&TC) has donated $300,000 to the mother of three-year-old Chrystal John, who was diagnosed with Retinablastoma (cancer of the retina of the eye). This is to assist with medical expenses.John, of Amelia’s Ward, Mackenzie, Linden, is presently in Cuba undergoing a lifesaving surgery. However, her family were able to secure only half of the money to cover expenses. Councillors Eleze Benjamin and Rawle on Friday handed over the cheque to John’s mother, LaShawn Daniels, in the presence of outgoing Mayor Carwyn Holland.Young John left Guyana on Tuesday, but her family is still seeking to raise moreCouncillors Eleze Benjamin and Rawle handing over the cheque to John’s mother, LaShawn Danielsfunds to offset expenses, since the initial target was not met. The family had initially sought to secure US$10,000, which included the cost for treatment, accommodation, transportation and other costs. A number of organisations, including the Giving Hope Foundation- Guyana and the Sar & B Nonprofit Foundation, have since been on the quest to assist the family in raising the fee with the help of the public.Crystal John was diagnosed with the life-threatening disease when she was just eight months old, resulting in the removal of one of her eyes. The disease has spread to her other eye, resulting in her being unable to see. In an effort to save her life and prevent further spread of the disease, her remaining eye had to be removed. Donations to help the toddler can be made via Citizen’s Bank Account # 219-002-772 and GBTI Account # 001062730013. A GoFundMe account has also been set up at GoFundMe:https://www.gofundme.com/crystals-johns-treatment.Her parents can be contacted on telephone numbers (592) 690 -0866, (592) 670-4337 or (592) 687-7171.
A family who spent three days trying to register with Irish Water has now been handed a handsome bill by their phone company… for an astonishing 278 calls.Jon and Breid Champney Warrener, from Kerrykeel, discovered to their cost that they were charged handsomely for the 278 phone calls on an itemised bill that runs into three full pages of detail.And what is more outrageous is that Irish Water has charged the family for the privilege of talking to an automated answering machine!The Tirconail Tribune reports that during their three day battle they failed to make one single contact with a human being at Irish Water.The ironic contradiction is that the family was attempting, in vain to register for payment of their water charges and nobody answered their calls.However Irish Water says their contact centre was open to customer queries at all times.But the company failed to explain why, after three days and 278 attempts by the Champney Warreners, no contact could be made with Irish Water.Attempts so far by the family to get any explanation for the cockup has failed and they say that trying to contact this company is a nightmare.Last night the family said they’ve been treated in the most shocking offhand manner by Irish Water. “Irish Water’s handling of customer queries is a total disaster,” said the couple.The family had assumed that since they were not able to contact an operator, the calls would not have been registered or charged. Now they’ve discovered otherwise and Irish Water is refusing to foot the bill. The company flatly rejected reimbursing the family for costs saying they do not refund telephone expenses incurred by customers.As the February 2nd deadline for registration approached the couple tried in vain over three days to connect with some human being in Irish Water… but to no avail.The family tried to register for water charges after being told by their landlord that the meter bill was their responsibility as tenants of the house.Breid Champney Warrener wrote to Irish Water after getting a vastly increased phone bill.She explained they wanted to pay their water charges and in principle had no objections to about paying a reasonable amount for water.She also said that she was not prepared to pay twice for water given that on top of their quarterly bill they’d now found themselves with an even bigger demand from the phone company.In response to queries from the Tribune this week the water company said: “Irish Water received a high volume of calls from customers in and around the February 2nd 2015 registration deadline, and some customers may have experienced a waiting time. The Contact Centre was however open to customer queries at all times. Irish Water does not refund telephone expenses incurred by customers.While we cannot comment on individual cases for reasons of personal data protection, we would be happy to discuss this customer’s concerns with them to ensure that they have all the information that they require.”When we rejected this reply as inadequate, the company then said they would contact the family to deal directly with their complaints.Reacting to the response from the water company, the Champney Warrener’s said the response does not come anywhere near answering our concerns of this couple. We made 278 phone calls over the three days leading up to the original deadline and we have been treated in the most shocking offhand manner by Irish Water. And to say that Irish Water does not refund expenses for not being able to get in contact with you is outrageous. Jon Champney Warrener said “Irish Water appears to have conveniently missed the real point of the complaint in that we made many attempts before and since to comply with the regulations. We have been in touch with Irish Water seeking to have this problem resolved and to no avail. I believe the lack of competency in Irish Water’s handling of customer queries is a total disaster,” he added.Then after further queries from the Tribune a spokesman for the company said in a single sentence reply: “Irish Water will contact this customer directly to deal with this complaint.”FAMILY’S 278 CALLS TO IRISH WATER LEAVES THEM WITH ANOTHER HEFTY BILL! was last modified: May 27th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BilldonegalIrish WaterKERRYKEELphonecalls
We have closed comments on this topic. Please refer inquiries to your local Military Installation Personal Financial Manager.Find out more about the Blended Retirement System on militarypay.defense.gov or http://www.militaryonesource.mil/By Carol ChurchAs most service members will have heard by now, major changes are coming to the military’s retirement system. As of January 2018, the new “blended retirement system” will be in full effect, and all those who enlist after that date will be enrolled in the blended system. At the same time, those who enrolled before Jan 1, 2006 will be grandfathered in to the old system; they will remain with the High 3s plan.But service members who joined after 2006 but before January 1, 2018 (this is many people active today!) will need to make a decision. They’ll have to decide whether to stay with the so-called High 36 or High 3s system or change over to the blended system.Why the change? Currently, more than 80% of service members leave the service before reaching the 20-year mark, meaning they never qualify for a military retirement pension. This is a huge number of people leaving service with no retirement savings (at least none provided by the military)!The military knew this, and wanted to do something about it. So, under the new blended plan, shorter-term members will be able to build savings through contributions from the DoD to their TSP plan, plus matching funds from the military for contributions they make themselves. This is basically a defined contribution system, like the 401K plans many workers in the private sector have access to. (However, there are also some reductions in later pension benefits.)Under the new plan, the military starts contributing 1% of base pay to service members’ retirement after 60 days, adding it to their TSP plans. At the beginning of the third year of service, the military will also start matching service member contributions to TSP plans (up to 4% of pay, for a total of up to 5% of pay being matched/contributed by the DoD). After two years of service, service members vest, and all money contributed by the DoD belongs to the service member and will go with him or her.Why Stick with the High 3s?If a service member is close to 20 years already, or feels very confident that he or she will remain with the military for the full 20 years, then the high 3s plan is likely to be the best option. Why? Because its pension pays out at a higher monthly rate—2.5% times years served (minimum 20) times the “high 3” pay (the average of the member’s highest 36 months of base pay). Meanwhile, the pension members will get under the blended system is less—2% times years served times the high 3 pay.That may not seem like much of difference at first glance, but remember that this plays out every month. So, for example, under the High 3s plan, someone with a retired pay base of $6,000/month who retires after 20 years will receive a monthly pension of $3,000. Meanwhile, under the blended plan, someone with a retired pay base of $6,000/month who retires after 20 years will receive a monthly pension of only $2,400. Over the course of just one year, that’s a difference of $7,200.Another reason the High 3s may be preferable to some is that it is not necessary to manage your own portfolio. This is not something everyone wants to do or feels comfortable doing. However, it’s important to note that the military plans to provide investment education.In addition, it should never be forgotten that under this plan, if a member retires before 20 years, he or she receives nothing from the military. Twenty years is a big commitment.Why Choose the Blended System?This plan is very helpful to members serving shorter terms. If a service member does not want to commit many years to the military, or just isn’t sure, it is definitely the best choice. The fact that members vest after just 2 years is great—the plan is “portable,” like most private retirement options, and can be rolled into a new employer’s 401k plan. Members also have the option to leave their money in the TSP plan and continue to contribute to it there. The option to receive matching funds up to 4% of pay is also great. Members who are good at saving are likely to do well with the plan.Of note, the blended plan also provides mid-career incentives intended to help retain more service members. At 12 years of service, members receive a bonus if they choose to continue their service for 4 more years. The amount is equal to 2 1/2 months of pay for active members and ½ month of pay for those in the reserves.Additional ResourcesThe Uniformed Services Blended Retirement SystemDoD Plans Benefit Revision With ‘Blended Retirement’Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the New Blended Retirement System
In a small auditorium of Nandan, located in the Kolkata’s cultural complex, Presidency University held its convocation on Tuesday morning. The auditorium that can barely accommodate 100 people had veteran Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee and former scientific adviser to the Prime Minister C.N.R. Rao receiving honorary degrees D. Litt and D.Sc degree respectively. No student of the University was present. University Chancellor and State Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi also stayed away from the convocation which ended in 40 minutes. The 200-year-old institution was forced to hold the convocation at an auditorium mainly meant for screening of films as a section of the students had not allowed the authorities to enter the campus on college street. “Students should remember that they have not come to live in Hindu hostel. But to study in Presidency University. What is it that makes that particular location and that particular building so important,” Vice-Chancellor of Presidency University Anuradha Lohia, said during the convocation. Large placard Prof. Lohia explained to the gathering that it was the student’s protests that has forced the University to hold their convocation at Nandan and not at the University premises. On Monday morning, the Vice-Chancellor and other authorities found that the gate of the University was locked by students who put up large placard which stated, ‘Presidency University is closed …..Renovation of Hindu hostel is going on’.A section of students of the institution have been protesting for the past one month over demands that they be allowed to stay at the Hindu hostel, close to the University campus on college street, which is under renovation. The University has made alternative arrangements for boarding of the students at its New Town campus and made arrangements free travel. The Vice-Chancellor argued that as a custodian of the University, she cannot push beyond a certain level and jeopardise safety of the issue.“That they want to stay in the hostel right now, does not sound rationale. It does not sound like students of Presidency University,” she said. Prof. Lohia said she will not use force against the students and will not force herself inside the University campus. Meanwhile, a section of protesting students said that the University authorities cannot put the blame entirely on the students. “Over the past 40 days we tried to argue our case with the Vice-Chancellor but she did not listen. Now by passing the responsibility of what happened today on students, the Vice-Chancellor is passing the responsibility and trying to score points before the State government,” Shuvajit Sarkar, a second year postgraduate student of History said.
Birthday wishes for Ajinkya Rahane flooded the India opener’s Twitter handle on Tuesday.The Mumbai batsman turned 29 today and the likes of Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, Dhawal Kulkarni, Ravi Shastri, Rishabh Pant, Hemang Badani, Mohammad Kaif and team-mates Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara and Sikhar Dhawan wishing him on the micro blogging website.Rahane is currently with the Indian team in England for the ICC Champions Trophy. Though he was not named in the playing XI for India’s opening match of their title defence against Pakistan, which they won handsomely by 124 runs.BCCI and ICC also wished the Indian star batsman.This should be settled now. Dear @ajinkyarahane88 , wish you a very Happy Birthday. Love the simplicity.6/6 it is. pic.twitter.com/IeDFbAnR9i- Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) June 6, 2017Here’s to many more runs and lots of success, wish you a great birthday pal @ajinkyarahane88 ???- Rohit Sharma (@ImRo45) June 6, 2017Hey Jinks. Happy birthday young man. Keep catching it like flies in the slip cordon and time it sweet @ajinkyarahane88 pic.twitter.com/I6zVcgcAdk-Ravi Shastri (@RaviShastriOfc) June 6, 2017Wishing you a splendid birthday, @ajinkyarahane88! Hope to see you shine bright as always. Best wishes! pic.twitter.com/EbG8UuWq6P- cheteshwar pujara (@cheteshwar1) June 6, 2017Happy Birthday @ajinkyarahane88 May you have a great year ahead filled with lots of runs and happiness- Rishab Pant (@RishabPant777) June 6, 2017A very happy birthday Mr.Consistent @ajinkyarahane88 . May you have a great year ahead.- Mohammad Kaif (@MohammadKaif) June 6, 2017Wishing you a day that is as special in every way as you are. Happy birthday @ajinkyarahane88. I wish you good luck and all success.advertisement- Hemang Badani (@hemangkbadani) June 6, 2017Wishing you a fantastic birthday @ajinkyarahane88! Hope you have a great year and wish you the best of everything in the coming years.- Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) June 6, 2017Happy Birthday @ajinkyarahane88 bro. Wish you a great year ahead filled with loads of runs and happiness- Shikhar Dhawan (@SDhawan25) June 6, 2017Many many Happy returns of the day Mr Rahane @ajinkyarahane88 ?????????God bless you and may you achieve more success and score many more runs-??? pic.twitter.com/sjSeQg54gf- Dhawal Kulkarni (@dhawal_kulkarni) June 6, 2017Here’s wishing #TeamIndia batsman @ajinkyarahane88 a very happy birthday pic.twitter.com/TcYtgIMbd4- BCCI (@BCCI) June 6, 2017??? Happy Birthday to @ajinkyarahane88! In 130 matches across all three formats for India he’s scored 5,192 runs! pic.twitter.com/MvOPFpNuFu- ICC (@ICC) June 6, 2017
Transfers Carlos Carmona leaves Atlanta United for Colo-Colo Goal 13:05 1/31/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Jason Getz Transfers Colo Colo Atlanta United MLS Primera División The move that had been rumored finally came through, with the MLS side selling the midfielder to the club is his native Chile Carlos Carmona has left Atlanta United, with the club selling the midfielder to Chilean side Colo-Colo, the MLS outfit announced on Tuesday. The 30-year-old signed with the MLS side last February and made 30 league starts for the expansion team in 2017. Carmona, best known for his time spent in Serie A with Atalanta, returns to his native country having made more than 150 appearances in the Italian top flight. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player The Atlanta Journal-Constitution first reported the move last week and the midfielder sent an emotional farewell to Atlanta on Monday via social media. Atlanta formally announced the move on Tuesday, saying the club had sold Carmona in exchange for an undisclosed fee. “Carlos was a valuable member of the team, but sometimes life becomes more important than soccer and we have decided to do what’s best for the player and his family,” club vice president and technical director Carlos Bocanegra said in a team statement.“Although, it was never the plan to move him on, we were able to reach an agreement and made the best out of a difficult situation.”Atlanta finished fourth in the Eastern Conference in the club’s first season in MLS, with manager Gerardo “Tata” Martino relying heavily on an influx of South American talent, including Carmona who took up a vital role at the base of the club’s midfield. Thank you for everything, Carlos#ATLUTD finalizes transfer of Carlos Carmona to Colo-Colo: https://t.co/ddorom8EDn pic.twitter.com/PyOzYN2ZPR— Atlanta United FC (@ATLUTD) January 31, 2018While the loss of Carmona is a blow to the second-year franchise, the club made waves earlier in the month by landing 18-year-old Ezequiel Barco from Argentina’s Independiente as a young designated player, with ESPN reporting that the MLS side paid $15 million for his services. Atlanta also announced a signing Tuesday night, with free agent right-back Sal Zizzo inking a contract with the club. Zizzo spent the last three seasons with the New York Red Bulls and has made over 150 appearances in MLS since joining the league from Germany in 2010.