• Home
  • Tag: 休闲娱乐

Men’s Soccer Edged By Western Illinois, 2-1, In Regular Season Finale

first_imgStory Links “Now the tournament starts and it really is a clean slate,” Smith said. “Everything is up for grabs. The week off will do us well and allow our guys to recharge the batteries and freshen up and get rid of some nagging injuries. It also gives us time to get in proper training sessions before the tournament starts and clean some areas up and get some guys healthy.” Western Illinois (7-9-1) went on the scoreboard first in the 16th minute (16:32) as Daniel Collins found the back of the net off an assist from his teammate, Jacob Bevan. Full Schedule Roster  Print Friendly Version Next Game: Preview The teams traded shots in the second half before Western Illinois broke through for the go-ahead goal in the 78th minute. The Leathernecks had a corner kick that the Bulldogs didn’t clear and it went to Alejandro Pacheco, who fired a shot past Drake goalkeeper Darrin MacLeod (Waterloo, Ontario). Watch Live vs. Bradley 11/8/2016 – 12 PM Live Stats PDF Box Score Drake, the defending 2015 MVC Tournament champions, is the sixth seed for next week’s 2016 MVC Tournament to be held in Springfield, Mo., from Nov. 8-13. Drake and seventh-seeded Bradley will play each other in the play-in game on Nov. 8 at 12 p.m., as the winner will advance to play the third seed in the quarterfinals on Nov. 9. DES MOINES, Iowa – Western Illinois scored in the 78th minute to edge the Drake University men’s soccer team, 2-1, Tuesday, Nov. 1 night at the Cownie Soccer Complex. The non-conference match closes the regular season for Drake. The two teams battled the rest of the half as the score was 1-1 at halftime. Western Illinois finished with five shots and Drake had four in the first half. MacLeod, who is already the program’s all-time leader in wins, minutes, shutouts and games, registered four saves to take possession of the all-time mark with 304. The Bulldogs had two near answers in the 82nd minute. Junior Steven Enna (Overland Park, Kan.) headed a ball off a cross that Hansen made a diving save of that redshirt senior Ben LeMay (Hugo, Minn.) was able to make a second effort on but Hansen blocked it wide. Drake’s corner kick was cleared out as the Bulldogs didn’t register another shot as the Leathernecks held on for the win. HTML Box Score The Valley On ESPN3 “Very exciting game with a great crowd and atmosphere tonight,” said head coach Gareth Smith of the crowd on fan appreciation night. “Overall we performed relatively well, created good chances, but missed on a couple assignments that cost us in the last 10-12 minutes. We are doing enough to win games, but in some areas we aren’t doing enough to prevent opponents from scoring and it comes down to execution. We have to get back to training, work on parts of the process and help work out the defending areas. We are creating chances and scoring goals, but we have to make sure we aren’t conceding them.” Drake (5-11-1) wasted little time getting the equalizer as senior James Wypych (Wellington, New Zealand) came through once again for the Bulldogs. Sophomore Nic Jaimes (Olathe, Kan.) fired a deep shot towards the Leathernecks’ goal that was deflected and sent high into the air. The ball landed in front of Wypych who gathered the ball and fired a volley past the WIU goalkeeper, Tim Hansen. Wypych’s goal (19:12) was his fifth goal in the past four games. He leads the Bulldogs and ranks third in the league with eight goals this season.last_img read more

Task team to explore university funding in South Africa

first_img7 October 2015A task team had been established to explore solutions to short-term student funding challenges, President Jacob Zuma said yesterday following a “fruitful and historical” meeting with vice-chancellors and the leadership of universities in South Africa at the Union Buildings in Pretoria.The meeting between the leadership of the country and its tertiary education institutions ties into one of the outcomes of the National Development Plan, namely, Africa’s place in the world. This is an effort to create a better South Africa, a better Africa and a better world.Meeting with university leadershipThe meeting was held at the request of Universities of South Africa and the University Council Chairs Forum – South Africa. Among other things, the request was necessitated by the recent violence on campuses countrywide.South Africa recognised and supported the right of university students to protest and to voice their opinions and grievances, Zuma said. However, he strongly condemned the violence and destruction of property that had taken place at some universities in the name of student protests over the past year or so. The most recent violent protests have been at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.“This right to protest should be exercised with utmost responsibility, ensuring that the rights of other South Africans are not violated in the process,” he said.While violent student responses had been condemned, university management must open up legitimate channels for discussion and dialogue over matters concerning students, with a view to resolving whatever issues they raised.“We believe that university management must be more proactive and not allow matters to deteriorate to such an extent that students go on a rampage, often due to lack of understanding and knowledge of the situation and spurred by poor communication,” Zuma said.TransformationIssues relating to the transformation of the higher education sector were also discussed, ahead of the second Higher Education Summit, which will take place in Durban from 15 to 17 October.“It was further noted that the current activity on many historically white university campuses by new student movements were related to concerns around the slow pace of university transformation and the demand to open access more effectively and thus change entrenched institutional cultures.“We also discussed some of the real gains in transforming the higher education sector, while acknowledging that there is still much more to be done.”Students protesting for the transformation of institutions, the president stressed, must focus on dialogue and legitimate means of negotiation and protest to bring about change.AfrikaansThe use of Afrikaans as the main medium of instruction on some campuses has been an issue leading to student protests:#SAVarsities: Zuma “the current issues in former Afrikaans Universities are pushed by the snail pace in transformation” @ANN7tv— Neria Hlakotsa (@neriahlakotsa) October 6, 2015#SAVarsities #Zuma says Afrikaans must not be used as a tool of exclusion, if you do so, you problematize it. @KayaNews— KhayelihleKhumalo (@KhayaJames) October 6, 2015#SAVarsities Zuma: Afrikaans is an African language, it must not isolate itself— POWER987 News (@POWER987News) October 6, 2015Financial aidThe focus of the meeting were the key challenges facing universities such as student financial aid, the increasing politicisation of university campuses, and transformation of higher education.“We wish to reiterate government’s commitment to funding poor students in higher education in the context of a constrained fiscal climate,” said Zuma.Funding for poor academically capable students, disbursed though the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), has increased from R441-million in 1997 to over R9.5-billion in 2015.“While funding has increased considerably, it is clearly still insufficient to support all poor and academically deserving students,” Zuma admitted. Processes for improving the disbursement of funds and concerted efforts to root out fraud, as well as sourcing additional funding to support students were being implemented.Shortfalls in financial aid, however, should not be used as a justification for hooliganism and vandalism of state property.The task teamThe task team will be made up of officials from the Department of Higher Education and Training, the Presidency, NSFAS, two vice-chancellors representing the leadership of universities, two student representatives, and other higher education stakeholders.It would make recommendations by the end of November.Source: SAnews.govlast_img read more

Don’t blame EVMs for defeat, Maharashtra CM tells Opposition

first_imgMaharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Tuesday asked the opposition leaders to accept their defeat in Lok Sabha elections instead of blaming the EVMs.He was replying to the resolution raised by the opposition last week and a challenge thrown by the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) MLA Jayant Patil to pass a resolution to conduct Assembly polls through ballot papers instead of electronic voting machines (EVM).In a reply to opposition leaders’ claim during the proceedings, Mr Fadnavis also rejected all the allegations of irregularities and graft against his colleagues. On the last day of Assembly session of the present government, and in his last speech, Mr. Fadnavis expressed confidence that he would be back after the elections in the same position.Mr. Patil reminded him that it is the people of the State who hold ultimate power to elect the government and said that he hopes they will vote for a better Chief Minister next time. “The opposition leaders must accept that they are defeated in the Lok Sabha elections due to their own deeds. The people of this country have rejected them and it is a bitter but important truth,” said Mr. Fadnavis.Recalling how he and his party too had fallen for a similar trap, Mr. Fadnavis said, “Someone had told me some years back that ballot papers with yellow colours were used as a part of bogus voting. We had gone to Bombay High Court and Supreme Court as well and we failed, because we refused to accept that we have been defeated by the people.”Mr. Fadnavis also referred to a challenge thrown by the Election Commission of India (ECI), where representatives of NCP and CPI (M) had attended. “Representatives of both the parties then had claimed that they were there to understand the procedure and not to challenge the EVMs,” he said.last_img read more

NBA: Warriors forward Barnes avoids jail time after guilty plea

first_imgLeBron James #23 of the Cleveland Cavaliers drives to the basket against Shaun Livingston #34 and Matt Barnes #22 of the Golden State Warriors in the first quarter in Game 4 of the 2017 NBA Finals at Quicken Loans Arena on June 9, 2017, in Cleveland, Ohio. Barnes pleaded guilty Tuesday, June 27, 2017, to disorderly conduct but avoided jail time following a December incident at a New York nightclub. AFPNEW YORK, United States — Golden State Warriors forward Matt Barnes pleaded guilty Tuesday to disorderly conduct but avoided jail time following a December incident at a New York nightclub.Barnes was ordered to perform 10 days of community service and allowed to do the work in California. He was given until August 29, the next hearing date, to complete the work.ADVERTISEMENT During Golden State’s playoff run to the NBA title, Barnes came off the bench to appear in 12 games, totaling nine points, nine rebounds, seven assists and two steals.Charges came from an early morning incident involving Barnes when he was a member of the Sacramento Kings and former Kings star DeMarcus Cousins.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutVideo footage obtained by police appeared to show Barnes as the assailant of three people, with two women reported being choked by Barnes. Another man who ran to aid one of the women was sucker-punched.Cousins was accused of delivering the punch but was recently cleared of wrongdoing by police. View comments Fil-German Standhardinger named to Gilas team set for SEA Games What ‘missteps’? LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire A civil suit has been filed against Barnes and Cousins by plaintiffs Jasmine Besiso and Myrone Powell. CBBSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend MOST READ WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garagelast_img read more

Olympiakos Takes 41st Soccer Title

first_imgATHENS — Nelson Valdez and David Fuster scored a goal in each half to lead Olympiakos to a 2-0 win over Panthrakikos in the Greek league.The win clinched Olympiakos’ record 41st championship, and 16th in the past 18 seasons, five rounds early.Second-place Atromitos, which drew 1-1 at Veria, is 18 points behind, and third PAOK, which faces last-place Aris March 16, is a further point behind.Celebration was muted in the empty Karaiskakis arena. This was because the crowd that had gathered two weeks ago to watch Olympiakos beat hated rival Panathinaikos and clinch the title then, reacted badly to the unexpected 3-0 home defeat, their team’s first this season. Olympiakos then lost to PAOK last Sunday.Also, OFI beat Apollon 2-0.TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more